On their way to the final written report of their thesis – typically comprising of chapters on background information, related work, design decisions, implementation work, and conducted evaluation – thesis students pass through the events and phases depicted by the figure and described in detail below.
Please note that the initial talk is a mandatory requirement for the official registration of your thesis as we believe in the benefits of active discussion on current research.
- Familiarize with your topic: Read initial literature, become aware of the state-of-the art, and gather related work
- Set up infrastructure and get to know the necessary tools
- Identify possible problems and evolve ideas to tackle them
- Present the problem and outline solutions at COMSYS
- Obtain feedback and hints for further thesis process
- Design of communication protocols, measurement or crawling frameworks, and implementation strategies
Implementation and Evaluation
- Implement protocols, frameworks, etc.
- Evaluate implementation and/or crawled data
- Leverage information from the evaluation to improve your implementation
- Present your thesis work in written format
Final talk (Colloquium)
- Defend your results and methodology in a talk at COMSYS